Friday 20 September 2013

Slow Hand Quickens

I had the honor of reading Allie Mathews first book "Slow Hand Quickens".  No from the title you would have no clue about what this story is about. By a quick look I actually thought it might have something to do with poker.  I know I'm lame, what can I say.  Then I read the blurb and went, wow, this is totally not what I expected. And from there the book grabbed me and sucked me in.  Here is the "Official" blurb of the book and you will see just why it grabbed my attention.


Genre:


New Adult Contemporary


Synopsis:


Growing up in an apathetic household with an abusive family friend, Kristen Weatherly doesn't know life can be better or that she even deserves it. When all your life you're told to be grateful for what little you have, no matter how awful, how do you know that your life can be more fulfilling?


Kristen's perspective begins to change her senior year in high school when she's befriended by Mila, a girl who shows Kristen that there are people in the world who care without expecting anything in return. Then comes Chris, a boy she's dubbed Mystery Eyes. She soon discovers that Chris' life is similar to her own in ways she never could have imagined.


Can the two get past their shocking and dreadful family histories together, or will their pasts come between them when it matters most?


This novel contains dark themes, sensitive issues and is intended for mature audiences only.

Pretty intense stuff there huh?  Just makes your brain go okay now what in the heck is going on, where is the author going with this story, and oh god I just have to read it.

So read it is exactly what I did!  And let me tell you, this book is NOT for the faint of heart.  I do not think it is appropriate for younger children but since it is in the New Adult Category the author recognizes this and labelled it accordingly.  This book addresses some fundamental issues for children in abusive situations.  And as the author states it does contain very sensitive issues and ones which sadly for our girls many of them may face at one time or another in their life.  1 in 3 women will be sexually molested in their lifetime.  That is a sad statement of the men of today in my humble opinion.  

This story is deeply moving coming of age-story.  The focus of the book is abuse, love and friendship. And the author did a wonderful job of combining the three.  Your heart will break for Kristen and Chris, and even for Mila.  The author touches upon such terrible subjects in a well crafted story.

The author has created characters that are rich and very much alive.  Kristen is a young girl who has suffered at the hands of the people she trusted the most.  She is approaching her 18th year on earth, and has lived with the circumstances for many years.  She has like most abused children been brainwashed into believing it is all her fault and that she is somehow bad.

I LOVED the growth the author wrote into this young woman.  I loved how she changed right before my eyes.  I especially liked the forming of her first real friendship with her best friend Mila.  And how much that one single friend changed how she started to see herself.  And I love how I am so not going to tell you anymore so you just have to go out and grab a copy for yourself!

Yes I know I'm evil.  

Now lets just talk about the young man in the book, Chris.  I loved him from the second I read about him.  I won't tell you a thing about him, except to say that I wish more young men were like him.

And Mila is a doll.  She happens to be rich, have the perfect life, and yet for reasons unknown to anyone she has taken to Kristen.  And she really is such a wonderful young girl.  She makes me think of my own daughters, and how they never judged a person by how much money they had, or how they looked and I thought how wonderful Mila's mother must be, and sure enough when you read about her, you will just have to agree that she is a wonderful role model for all us mom's to mimic.

I totally hate spoilers, and if I spill anymore, I just know I'm bound to slip up and say things. So here is where my review will just have to end.  There are characters in this book you will LOVE, and there are characters in this book you will HATE! 

***I just have to say this one thing...  
ANY MAN who cannot take NO for an answer isn't a man.  Any man who treats a woman with disrespect deserves the worst thing that I can think of to happen.  Rape is not about sex, it is all about controlling another person, and any man who rapes a woman should have ALL control taken from him permanently!  Can you tell this is something I feel strongly about?  Well I do because I am one of the one in three.  I survived!  And as a survivor, I can say that a woman is so much more than men think they are.  We are far stronger than most people believe, and we have strong minds which help us to overcome the most horrendous of happenings.  Men tend to blame women for wearing certain clothing or acting a certain way, but it is their own weakness and insecurities which cause them to act the way they do. Blame us for all the ills, but the truth is, only a woman can bring a new life into this fabulous world of ours!

And here is where my review seriously ends.  You should go and get this book.  You won't regret it!  I recommend this book to ages 16 and up.  I say 16 because girls are having to face these sorts of issues at a young age.  Here is a link to go buy the book.  Trust me, you won't go wrong reading this book and Kristens growth during the book is precisely the hope we need for these kids! I have to praise the Author Allie Mathews for a well written and inspiring story for all ages.


Disclaimer: Review copy was provided for an honest and fair review.  This free copy held NO determination on my final review.





Allie lives in North Carolina and works at a university bookstore. She reads and writes in her spare time, including lunch breaks. When she's not reading or writing she's usually watching something on television, whether a good show or movie; or she's hanging out with friends...also perhaps drinking. A small amount. Usually rum. She likes rum. Oh, chocolate! She also enjoys eating things chocolate-y. She's always open to book recommendations. She listens to music while she cooks, usually throwing in a few dance moves. Allie thinks random things at random times and writes them down, even when they don't seem to be in any sort of order. She is a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment