- 1 cup raw walnut halves
- 1/2 cup raw pecan halves
- 3 tbsp brown rice syrup (no less or it will be dry)
- 6 tbsp gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2-3 tbsp Sucanat sugar, see note
- Heaping 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Scant 1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt
- freshly grated nutmeg, to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 275F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place walnuts and pecans into a large mixing bowl. Pour on brown rice syrup and stir very well until combined for about 60 seconds. Your goal is to have every nook and cranny covered in syrup. No pressure!
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the oats, coconut, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Pour it onto the nuts and mix very well until combined. Some of the oat mixture won’t adhere to the nuts, but that’s ok because it adds character.
4. Spoon the entire mixture onto the baking sheet and into a single layer, including any oats that didn’t stick. Garnish with fresh nutmeg. Bake for 10 minutes, rotate the pan, and bake for another 10-13 minutes (I baked for 23 mins total) and allow to cool on the pan for at least 10 minutes.
5. Once cool, break apart clumps and store in glass jars or Tupperware containers. I expect these would stay good for at least a month.