Friday 7 June 2013

Why My Love Life Sucks Tour and Review




Title-Why My Love Life Sucks
Series-The Legend of Gilbert the Fixer Book # 1
By- Shevi Arnold
Published-March 23, 2010

Seventeen-year-old Gilbert Garfinkle is the ultimate tech geek. He likes to take apart, figure out, and fix things, and he dreams of someday fixing the world. But now his own life has been taken apart by the one thing he'll never be able to figure out. Her name is Amber, and she's a gorgeous girl with a killer smile who wants to turn him into her platonic BFF--literally forever! It's the ultimate geek's ultimate nightmare, and it leaves Gilbert asking life's ultimate question: "Why me?" 

Why My Love Life Sucks is a funny novel about geeks, girls, gadgets, vampires, and the start of a most unlikely friendship. It's the first book in The Legend of Gilbert the Fixer, the series that proves it takes the ultimate geek to be the ultimate hero.




 


 
Okay when I picked up this book for review, I took one look at the cover and went okay what an odd cover.  Then I started reading, and as I turned the pages, reading about Gilbert, I immediately realized that I knew Gilbert!  Okay maybe not the book Gilbert, but I sure know the Gilbert that lives inside of me.  Trekkie, Geek, Nerd, Computer Nut, Photographic memory, someone who always takes things apart to fix them better.  Yep I know that person!

So now that I had this common ground with Gilbert, boy was I surprised when Gilbert turned into Gilbert!  Yeah I know that makes no sense, but trust me it really does.  Amber decides that Gilbert should be her BFF, and she bites him.  Naughty Vampire!  What happens next will have you rolling on the floor laughing so hard that tears will stream from your eyes.

Gilbert has this wit about him that will have you laughing and flipping pages.  Amber you love because of how she is, sorry can't tell you, but trust me you will fall for her as well.  I felt so badly for Gilbert, his mother hates him, he basically lives in a dungeon in a huge mansion of a house in New York City and I just felt wow what kind of mother does that to her son.  But it is what made Gilbert into the loving young man he is.

I HIGHLY recommend this 5 star read to EVERYONE!  Yes I know it isn't really a typical vampire book, or a romance, or a science fiction.  But it is something even better, its own genre!  This book will literally suck you in and make you look at how you think about yourself.  Since the moral of the story is a very simple one, accept yourself for who and what you are and stop worrying so much about what other people think about you.  I think that is a wonderful lesson for everyone to learn.  After all self-acceptance is the key to happiness. 

Details/Disclaimer: Review copy was provided for me in exchange for a fair and honest review.  The free book held no determination on my personal review.


I've always been super geeky about comedy, fantasy and science fiction.

When I was little, I'd take them apart and analyze them, kind of like what Gilbert Garfinkle--the hero of Why My Love Life Sucks--does with electronics. This continued into my college years, when I majored in English Literature and Theater Studies.

For twelve years I worked in magazines and newspapers as an editorial cartoonist, illustrator, editor, arts-and-entertainment writer (specializing in children's entertainment and, of course, comedy), and a consumer columnist.

My last job was at the Jerusalem Post, but I had to quit when my family decided to move to New Jersey to pursue better education options for my autistic son.

This was in February 2001. Since then I've written 40 picture books and seven novels for kids and teens, four of which I've indie published. I was an ABNA quarterfinalist with Why My Love Life Sucks, and I won third place in SmartWriter's Write It Now contest in the the YA category (which was judged by Alex Flinn, the author of Beastly) for my romantic, YA ghost story, Ride of Your Life.

Links-

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great review!

    Yes, The Legend of Gilbert the Fixer is its own genre. It's what I call "Geek Fic", as in books written for, by, and about geeks. I wrote it for me, for you, and for all the Gilberts out there, people like us who love something so much that they don't care what anyone else thinks.

    Your review put a smile on my face. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete